Tuesday, March 20, 2007

AguaSelva, San Cristobal, my broken camera and some other places in Chiapas.

AguaSelva, San Cristobal, my broken camera and some other places in Chiapas.

AguaSelva, San Cristobal, my broken camera and some other places in Chiapas.


Thats a long title.
Well , it was a 3 day weekend here in Mexico. Spring time celebration (actually it's the day of some past-president, but I prefer to think it's because of start of spring)
SO I decided to visit a few Places around Chiapas.

I visited a nice watefalls in the limits of Tabasco and Chiapas called AguaSelva, really nice, quite some pretty flowers, but many plants were still missing flowers, too early.
Then I arrived to the lovely town of San Cristobal de las Casas in Chiapas.It's a really lovely town. With a really lovely architecture.
Many churches, some of them in top of the hills around, so did lots of walking and climbing.
Also its a really nice place to see and buy tradicional handicrafts. Plus lots of girls use the traditional clothing, which adds a lot of mistique to the town.
Lots of tourists there, mostly from different countries. And lot of them return to live there, and so it has lots of variety in amenities.
A great place to have fun as well, a very varied nightlife. It was fun.

Next day I went out , on the road to my destination, I saw a waterfall place, and there the accident Happened, my camera, fell into the water, ME SAD, ME CRYING, my camera is now dead, kaput, broken, no sirve. :(
Then to the Lagunas of Montebello (Montebello Lagoon), it seems to be a really nice place, unfortunately, it was really, really cold, and with lots of fog.
So couldn't see all the lagoon at their true beauty, but anyway it was an interesting spectacle to see the fog. Also was nice to remeber how it is to be in a forest with very cold weather.
On my return I passed to a Cave near San Cristobal, quite impressive. Also forest, lots of pines.

Last day, I went to a town near San Cristobal called San Juan Chamula. Wow that town is really interesting.
First thing, they do not allow to take pictures of people, ceremonies, inside the church, or you can go to jail (and not the usual jail, since the town has its own law)
There is only one church in the town, that looks like a catholic church, but it is really not. First there is no priest, the priest only goes to the San Juan day, and to do baptism.
There is no chairs, altar is different, composed of three figure, Christ, San Juan, and another San Juan. And apparently its representing the 3 creation mayan gods, and the sun god.
Saints are on the side walls. The ground is covered with pine leaves (to make the ground holly). Lots of candles everywhere (Its a simbol of feeding the gods, plus the fire is a purifier)
Peope doing prayers in front of the candles, in tzotzil or tzetzal (mayan languages), throwing alochol and soda to the candles to feed the fire.
And while there, in one of the altars, a girl took a chicken, passed over the candles fire, then around the body of the woman who was also praying , and then killed the chicken. Apparently is a soul-healing process.
Our guide also took us around town, explainned us about the crosses than can be seen around town, that looks like the catholic cross, but it is not, it's a mayan one, simbol of the Ceiba, the holly tree.
And while there we got to enter into the house of one of the religous authorities, to see the altar of one Saint, the even lets us try the home-made alcohol they do and use.
Very interesting place.

So I am happy, it was a really fun weekend, got to see lots of beautifull and interesting places.

But now I am sad, my camara is dead, I will need to buy a new one :(

Kisses
Jessica.

PS, about the photos.
Top Line, is the main church in San Cristobal, REally nice I like the colors. I posted both a day pic and a night pic, I liked the contrast.
Middle line, two little kiosks around San Cristobal, really pretty.
Last line, some pics from the waterfalls in AguaSelva

Original http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/428583515_e737080742_b.jpg

No comments: