Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Nail Circle and the evils of Math

Nail Circle and the evils of Math




Nail Circle and the evils of Math

Well, got to do a few sets of nails this weekend, It’s so much fun painting them.
So once I ended, I decided to try a way to show them all, and the result was this circles thingies.

As a little kid I used to like circles, anything round kind of attract my attention, and I was happy.
Then I went to school, where they taught me about math and geometry, and they told this crazy explaining about circles, and as I went further in school the circle become more and more complicated. And so I learned to hate Math.


Yes I went to school and grew up to hate mathematics.

Supposedly, Math is like some sort of science practiced to deal with the logics of shape and quantities. Even some went to say that math was an exact science.
But after like lots of years at school doing math thingies, I failed to see the logic in it, and in some cases the science part.

But the one thing I hated Math for the most was how complicated the made the circle, something that as a kid I saw as so simple and perfect, suddenly was transformed by those math teachings into some monster.
First the pi number, 3.14... , and I still remember the first thing the teacher said "And still to this day the exact value of pi is unknown", and years later another one said "With the most powerful computers, each day new numbers of pi are discovered".
So good for the exact part, no matter what, any-calculation made used that magic number (yes some of my teachers called it the magic number, as some other numbers I was taught later) was inexact, incomplete.

Then appeared the inconsistencies, (well maybe If I did some research I might find one of the teachers was lying, but math is also so boring, that I won't waste my time in that research)
Ok, after that long parenthesis, back to the inconsistencies part. First one teacher said that a straight line is like the outside line of a really big circle, like of an almost infinite radius, so the curve actually looked like a straight line. (Even said some math people went as far as to say straight lines don't exist)
Then another one said, that nope, that a circle was like an hexagon or octagon, but that it was a figure of a varying number of sides, the bigger the circle, the most number of sides (some explaining about sides being lines consisting of three points, sharing last two with the next side)
And finally, one said that circles don’t exist, that is just a result of mankind imagination, which only exists into the boundaries of math.

Then was this geometry-algebra hybrid, in which the put a circle in term of some equation like (x+i)2 + (y+j)2 = r2,
And I remember some equations in which at the results you had things that were like having negative or imaginary radius, like what?? Where is the logic there?

So by the end, a figure so simple, so pretty, so perfect was turned into something inexact, inconsistent, undefined, and probably non-existent by math.
And still some people continue to say I am crazy for hating math, buh.

Still more evil of math were discovered later, but I guess some later posts will help me explain that.

Jessica Sweet
Bored by math, since first day of school.

No comments: