Thursday, March 15, 2007

Walking around downtown Merida

Walking around downtown Merida



After going out of the restaurant I was back inside my friend car. And then a question "Would you like going to downtown???"
In my mind the following thought happened : Should I risk myself more outside to being spotted, should I go to a place I know is full of people, that even at late night is fully lighted. The idea of walking among all those people seemed scary.
But then, it was a golden opportunity to walk around girl mode, and with someone walking next to me. Plus I have already been in a crowded place (remember Campeche downtown) and that time I was alone. So no reason to not going.
I said "Yes, of course", and there we went.

Indeed downtown was crowded with people, and cops and soldiers.
In a way lots of cops, means a bit of safety, not likely someone would do something agressive.
But due to the circumstances also bit of risky, what if they were more paranoid than me, and saw suspicious behavior in that nervous girl who looked too tall and a bit boyish.

We walked around downtown, just a few blocks from where my friend parked. Stopping from time to time to take a picture.
Didn't notice any reaction, yet it is difficult to notice reactions in just the 2 seconds one face the person walking next to, probably people didn't even got time to get a good look when I walked next to them.
There was one point at the main park, my friend was leading me to a building for a picture, thing was, on the way to there, there was a group of like 15 boys and girls in school uniforms, around 15-16 years old.
Those are the scary ones, those are the ones that would not stop from laughing or mocking. We passed next to them, and nothing, no reaction.

Then first little problematic thing, walking round in a city with hot and humid weather (and after rain), with long sleeved blouse, and a wig over my head, well, you know.
My friend suggested I removed the blouse, and silly Jessica, first forgot to undo the buttons on the sleeve, so not easy to pass my hands out, quite an spectacle the way I removed the blouse. Also as my friend said later to me, the way I removed it, not ladylike at all, completely boyish.
we continued walking around, then back to my friend's car, it was time to take me back to my hotel.

Kisses
Jessica

No comments: